1. Bassinet or cradle – While your baby will likely sleep in a crib most of the time, a bassinet or cradle can be helpful, especially if your baby is going to be sleeping in your room.
2. Baby swing – Swings can be very helpful in soothing baby to sleep and provides another place for baby to hang out as most play music while they swing.
3. Playard or Playpen – A playpen can be a great place for babies to play and sleep and makes a great portable crib to bring with you when you travel.
4. Baby Bouncer – These cozy chairs can help soothe babies using gentle vibrations and/or music sounds. They come with a safety harness to keep baby in the chair and most also come with interactive toys to keep your little one busy.
5. Baby Carrier – Carriers are a great way to stay close to your baby while keeping your hands free. They can also be more convenient than strollers when you are in crowded areas.
6. Stationary Entertainers (also called Exersaucers) – This was a must-have in our house. Babies are surrounded by interactive toys that keep them busy while the saucer keeps them in one spot! Most have a few height adjustments so the saucer can grow with your baby.
7. Play mats – These bright, colourful mats are great for encouraging tummy time for your baby. They also help develop motor skills as baby tries to grasp at all the toys hanging overhead. Most mats have a variety of colours and textures as well for great sensory play.
8. High Chair – Once your baby starts on solid foods, you will need a high chair. Look for one with a sturdy base, a tray that is easy to put on and take off, and a comfortable seat for baby.
9. Stroller – It is worth the time to do some research on the different types of strollers that are available and decide which features will be important for you and your baby. Consider how often you will be walking and/or running with the stroller, what kind of storage you need, how easy it is to fold up, what kind of accessories you need. You might be using your stroller every day so make sure you are happy with your choice.
10. Car seat – A car seat is a must-have, something you will need to have before you leave the hospital. Many people buy their strollers and car seats together to make sure they are compatible. It will make life easier if your car seat clips easily into your stroller.
momstown and Today's Parent have partnered with Walmart Canada to help rollout Walmart's new Every Little Step program all about baby basics and the essentials that moms and babies need. Offering convenient free shipping, anytime, with no minimum purchase requirements, Walmart is a one stop online and in-store for all of your baby needs. Did you know that Walmart has over 1,800 products for moms and babies? Join the conversation online! #WMBabyBasics