1. Diapers and wipes – Not as much fun as picking out a cute outfit or a fun toy but a gift of these essentials will definitely be appreciated!
2. Bibs, blankets, washcloths, pacifiers, bottles – You can really never have too many of these and most were not likely in any shape to be passed down to the new baby. Again, more practical than fun but needed!
3. Gift cards to a family restaurant, science centre, aquarium – By helping to keep their first child busy, you will be helping Mom and Dad!
4. Personalized gifts – Since this little one will likely be getting lots of hand-me-downs from their big brother or sister, a personalized blanket, towel or stool can be a special gift.
5. Gender specific clothes, toys – If they know what they are having and its a different sex that their first child, they might appreciate some gender specific clothes and toys.
6. Gift card to photography session – A nice way to capture the new family!
7. Offer to babysit – You can offer to watch the new baby while they spend some quality time with their first born or take the big brother or sister out for some play time.
8. Food – Trying to get healthy meals on the table becomes even more challenging with a new baby so a gift card to Supperworks or similar meal prep store would be very helpful. Or, drop off some meals that can be frozen and then thawed when needed. Another idea is to deliver some snacks that are ready to go – mini muffins, banana bread, raw veggies already washed and cut up – anything that saves parents some time!
9. New baby toys or books that were probably thrown out – There are some toys that just aren't worth passing down to the next baby. After months of being drooled on, some teething toys or books need to be replaced.
10. Gift just for Mom – Even though you are celebrating the arrival of a new baby, sometimes the best thing you can do is give Mom a chance to spoil herself. Perhaps a gift card to a spa or hair salon so she can enjoy some alone time!
Don't forget about the new big sister or brother! Just a little gift to make them feel included in the celebration – its a milestone for them too!